Pest Control Inspection CT: Holiday Tips to Keep Pests Away
We have put together this list of tips to help you prevent pests from spoiling your holiday fun this year:
- Clean up spills immediately and store holiday goodies in airtight containers.
- Before baking, inspect all food, especially dry goods for potential pests and check expiration dates.
- When grocery shopping, only purchase sealed packages that show no signs of damage.
- If a pantry-infestation is suspected, discard all contaminated foods and other open dry goods in outdoor trash bins and clean the infested area thoroughly with a vacuum and soap and water.
- Inspect Christmas trees, wreaths and other live greenery thoroughly before bringing into the house.
- Store all holiday decorations in plastic, airtight containers and when retrieving from the attic or basement, inspect them outdoors before bringing inside.
- Store firewood off the ground and at least 20 feet away from the home.
- Place screens over vents and openings to chimneys.
- Vacuum and sweep often around the home.
Many people in Connecticut will stand their trees up and leave them outside for a couple days to allow pests to get out of the tree before they bring the tree inside. Many termite and pest experts also recommend that you unpack your holiday decorations, such as holiday lights and ornaments for the tree outdoors, such as in a garage to avoid bringing bugs into your home. With the right precautions, you can prevent common problems with common pests this time of year. When in doubt call a CT pest control inspection professional.